To apply for a firearm or shotgun licence, read this information carefully and then download the appropriate form from the ‘Downloads’ section below.

Please only send your application to the below address if you live in the City of London and you pay council tax to the City of London Corporation. If you live in any other London borough then you must apply with the Metropolitan Police or another police service. You can find your local police service by entering your postcode on the Police UK website.

Sending your form to the incorrect police service will result in a delay in your application being processed. If you are already a certificate holder then the police service is stated on your certificate. Any forms incorrectly sent to the City of London Police will be confidentially disposed of.

Download and print the required form, (it cannot be saved for later), and complete by hand. Please check you have signed it and enclosed the necessary items before sending:

  • completed application form
  • one photograph
  • the appropriate fee

Please ensure all correspondence is sent to:

City of London (Police Licensing)
PO Box 270

It is important that you answer all of the questions on the form. This will avoid any unnecessary delays in dealing with the application.

Four passport-sized photographs are required to be submitted with each application, one of which you must sign on the back. Another should have a referee endorsement that it is a true likeness.

Shotgun certificate applications (renewals and grants) should contain the details of a person who has known you for at least two years (see the notes with the application form for full details).

Firearm certificate applications (renewals and grants) require two such referees.

Firearm certificates

Grant of firearm certificate £88
Renewal of firearm certificate £62
Variation of a firearm certificate (other than when it is renewed at the same time) to increase the number of firearms to which the certificate relates £20
Replacement of a firearm certificate lost or destroyed £4

Shotgun certificates

Grant of a shotgun certificate £79.50
Renewal of a shotgun certificate £49
Replacement of a shotgun certificate lost or destroyed £4

Coterminous certificates

Firearms and shotgun certificates valid for the same dates

Coterminous grants £90
Coterminous renewal £65

Visitors' permits

Individual visitor's permit £20
Group visitors' permit (groups of six or more valid for the same dates) £100

Registered firearms dealers

Registration or renewal £200
Additional premises £13

Fees paid by cheque or postal order must be made payable to 'City of London Police Authority’. 

For those applications not received before the expiry of your certificate you will be required to lodge your firearms with a registered firearm dealer or another certificate holder.

Any costs incurred in relation to the lodging of firearms, shotguns, Section 1 ammunition and certificated explosives will be at a certificate holder's own expense.

It must be noted that any certificate holder who has not submitted their renewal application within the above time limit and who does not transfer their firearms before the expiry of their certificates(s) will be liable to prosecution and it is likely that their certificate(s) will not be renewed.

Visitors' permits

Applications for visitors' firearms or shotgun permits must be submitted with the following documentation for each visitor:

  • European Union (EU) Visitors - copy of European Firearms Pass (EFP)
  • Non EU Visitors - either copies of current valid Firearm or Shotgun Licences, or the equivalent of a local Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check from their country

Currently it is not possible to submit these forms electronically. Where copies are not enclosed the permits will not be issued.

Applications for a Visitor’s Permit should be made at least 6 weeks prior to arrival in this Country. We cannot guarantee the issue of a visitors permit with less than 6 weeks notice.

Registering as a firearms dealer

If your business is connected with the buying, selling, manufacturing, testing or repairing of firearms, shotguns or ammunition you are required to register as a firearms dealer. This allows you to be in possession of firearms, shotguns or ammunition as part of your business without the need to comply with the requirements of a firearm or shotgun certificate in relation to notifications of acquisitions or, in the case of firearms, the need to obtain specific authorisation before you acquire them.

If you attend a game fair or agricultural show outside of the police area where your business is registered you have to register with the police for that area using Form 116A.

If another place of business is required in the same area as your primary registered firearms dealer (RFD) certificate then Form 116a - Additional Premises application will need to be submitted. There is no fee for additional places of business in the same police area.

Apply for shooting club approval

All applications for shooting club approval (new or renewal) should be submitted directly to the Home Office. This applies to all clubs in England and Wales. Applications will only be accepted by the Home Office, and should no longer be sent directly to the police.

Once your application has been submitted, the Home Office we will review it to determine if it is valid and, if so, pass it to the police force, who will then make necessary enquiries before sending the application back to the Home Office for consideration. If you do not provide sufficient information and supporting evidence your application is likely to be rejected as invalid and will need to be resubmitted.

Apply for shooting club approval online.

Artificial target shooting

If you are applying to approve a site to enable persons who are not shotgun certificate holders to shoot at artificial targets, such as Clay Pigeon shoots, please complete the 'Application for a Section 11(6) Authority' form below.