Skip to content
Dial 999 in an emergency
Dial 101 in a non-emergency
AA | Accessibility
Logo - City of London Police
Report a crime online
A quick, convenient way to report crime and incidents.


Reporting a crime

Have you been a victim of crime?

There are a number of different ways you can report a crime or incident to us.

This section provides you with information on how to contact us when it is not an emergency situation. You will also find information about what happens after you report a crime, and a number of other useful contacts and links.

Remember: In an emergency always dial 999.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

IMPORTANT: Road traffic accidents or incidents must be reported by selecting the 'Road traffic accidents' link and NOT by selecting the 'online' link.



This facility is specifically designed for the reporting of non-urgent crimes or incidents.​

Online non-emergency crime incident reporting should only be used for crime incidents that have taken place in the City of London "Square Mile".

Incidents outside of the City should be reported to London's ​Metropolitan Police Service.

Report a crime online​

By phone

You can call 101 to report a non-emergency crime that has already happened.

Examples include:

  • Stolen cars
  • Laptops
  • Smartphones and mobile phones
  • Minor traffic collisions
  • Property damage
  • Drug dealing

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can use the textphone number 1800 101 to report your non-emergency crime.

101 Number

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police in England, Wales or Scotland - when it’s less urgent than a 999 call. 101 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.​

Find out more about 101.​

General enquiry

If you want to discuss a crime that has already been reported, or any other non-crime related matter you can do so by using our general enquires form​ or by calling our general enquiries number.​

At a police station

You can report a crime or incident at one of our police station front counters.

Find your nearest City of London police station and opening times.​​

Victim and witness support

We are dedicated to improving the service we provide to victims and witnesses of crime.

Our victim and witness support section contains information about why you should report crime to us, and what happens after you have reported a crime.

Visit victim and witness support​​

Report a fraud

Report fraud to Action Fraud

Action Fraud is the UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre

They provide a central point of contact for information about fraud and financially motivated internet crime. 

If you've been scammed, ripped off or conned, there is something you can do about it. 

Report fraud to Action Fraud and receive a police crime reference number.​

Remember: Action Fraud is not an emergency service - dial 999 if you are in immediate danger.​​

Report a fraud​

Find out how we tackle the threat of fraud and economic crime

Report a missing person

If you believe someone is missing and in immediate danger you should contact police. However there are a number of things that can try to do and find them before contacting the police. You being a close friend, family member or colleague are likely to hold the most information about the missing person.

Things that you can try

It is a traumatic experience when someone goes missing; however, it is critical that you take immediate action, especially when the person could be in danger.

  • Search their home or the place the person was last seen, in case the person is hiding or may have fallen and been injured. Remember that children can hide in very small spaces
  • Look out for any notes or clues that may suggest where they may be
  • Check to see if they have left you a message on your phone voice mail or email
  • Contact family members, friends and the person’s place of work to verify that they are actually missing and not simply somewhere unexpected.

It may be helpful to keep a record in a notebook of what you have done(including all phone calls) and anything that seems out of the ordinary or suspicious, to assist the police and help keep track of what still needs to be done. Most people who go missing return, or are found within 48 hours, with only around 1% still remaining

How can you report someone missing to the Police?

First hand reporting from a relative or friend is the most common way that Police are notified of a missing person. The Police will take reports of missing persons in any of the following formats:

  • Calls us on 101.
  • Visit one of our police stations​
  • Contact with a Police Officer/Police Staff away from a police station

What happens when you report someone missing to Police?

Once a Police Officer has taken a report from you about the missing person, he/she enters all the information onto a computer at the police station and circulates the person as "missing" on the Police National Computer. Now that that information is on the computer any Police Officer nationally or internationally can contact us to find out more in-depth details.

Immediate enquiries are undertaken by the Initial Investigating Officer to try to find the missing person as soon as possible.

Should they still not be found then the investigation is passed onto a nominated officer within the police station who will now deal with all further enquiries that can be carried out.

What can they do?

  • The officer will firstly make sure that we have all the necessary details so that an efficient investigation can be conducted, these will include details of:
    • Details of friends or relatives,
    • Places that the missing person is known to frequent,
    • Health or medical conditions that they may suffer from,
    • Financial account details (such as bank account, credit and debit card details),
    • Details on any benefits that they may receive, and the location of where they may collect them from,
    • A number of recent photographs,
    • Events that could be linked with their disappearance,
    • DNA sample for subsequent forensic examination (i.e. toothbrush).
  • Officers will also need to search with your consent the home address to establish if there are any further evidential leads (this is a normal procedure).
  • Consent to publicity will also be sought from you. We have found that using the media to appeal for information can be very effective.

What can you do?

Police realise that this is a very traumatic time for you and that you need support and feedback from them, but this is also a time where you can help them by making many enquiries yourself. Please keep in touch with the officer in the case if you find anything out. We will work with other agencies to bring this incident to a swift conclusion.

Sometimes the adults who go missing may wish for their location to remain anonymous, and they do have that right which we must respect. We will always tell you if this is the case.​​

Reporting a vulnerable missing person

The Herbert Protocol 

The Herbert Protocol is a national scheme which encourages carers to compile useful information which could be used in the event of a vulnerable person going missing.

Carers, family members and friends can complete in advance, a form recording all vital details, such as medication required, mobile numbers, places previously located, a photograph etc.  In the event of your family member or friend going missing, the form can be easily handed to the police to reduce the time taken in gathering this information.

Herbet Protocol form and further information.

Report a road traffic incident

If you’ve been involved in a road traffic collision, or think you might have witnessed an offence on the roads in London, report it using the simple online tool provided by the Metropolitan Police.

City of London Police will receive reports from the Metropolitan Police Service automatically for any reports made online for which the location is within the City of London.

Report a road traffic incident

Terrorism - Suspicious activity

​​We have a key role in protecting the City of London from terrorism.

In the City of London Dial 999
or call City of London Police, 101

Elsewhere  Dial 999

If you suspect you may have witnessed hostile reconnaissance previously


Call the Confidential Anti Terrorist Hotline, 0800 789 321

Find out more about how we tackle the threat of terrorism.